I think most of the people who read this are Christians so I don’t apologise for the challenge I am about to make. Fasting and prayer are key elements of our Christian life. Jesus fasted and prayed – that says it all cos if He needed to then I do.
Tomorrow is the start of the 40 day fast and prayer for revival. It is a Canada driven thing but God has no national boundaries. This world is in such desperate need of God’s love and redemption. I am sure you, like me, have family, friends, colleagues, neighbours who do not know the One who brings life. These 40 days won’t twist God’s arm, or persuade Him or blackmail Him into acting. He will do what He will do but they will focus our attention on the things that matter causing us (hopefully) to spend more time talking and listening to Him, less time doing things that perhaps are not as important in the big scheme of things.
The terms of any fast are between you and God but here are some suggestions of what you could do – it doesn’t have to be 40 days in the wilderness:
- Read the bible every day for 5 minutes (read extra if you already do)
- Get up 5 minutes earlier and pray or stay up for 5 minutes later
- Give up tea or coffee or alcohol or chocolate or meat
- Pray for your neighbours as you walk to the car or bus stop and travel
- Miss one meal a day and pray during that time
- Give up watching TV and pray or go talk to someone
- Offer your time to a good cause – sweeping leaves for your family and neighbours would work – connect with people
- Find someone with a like mind and keep each other faithful with encouragement and prayer together
Whatever God says to you just do it. I am certain this call is for all of us. People need to know Jesus, need to know God loves them, they need us to be ready to tell them and to be ready – we need to be God-aware.
16 Celebrate always,
17 pray constantly,
and 18 give thanks to God no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. (This is God’s will for all of you in Jesus the Anointed.)
19 Don’t suppress the Spirit.
20 Don’t downplay prophecies.
21 Take a close look at everything, test it, then cling to what is good.
22 Put away every form of evil.
Just do it.